Lordy don't leave me
All by myself(x3)
Good time's the devil
I'm a force of heaven(x3)
All by myself(x3)
Good time's the devil
I'm a force of heaven(x3)
Lordy don't leave me
All by myself(x3)
So many time's I'm down
Down down(x3)
With the ground
Lordy don't leave me
All by myself(x3)
Whoa, in this world(x3)
Lordy don't leave me
All by myself
Alright, this is about the fourth time I restart this blog, but now I'm sure of what I want to write. I decided to write on Moby's "In This World" song because it represents a lot of myself and how I view certain aspects of my life. I like the idea of having a soundtrack to my life, rather than having a single song cover my entire life because that would be impossible to do. I have a rough idea of when I first listened to Moby's "Play" album, not recognizing or understanding the meaning of a majority of the songs, what drew me to it was the fact that my oldest brother liked it(someone who I idolized a lot at a young age) and the fact that it had a few songs I found extremely catchy(i.e. body rock.) It wasn't until I was in high school that this song became part of my music collection on my mix Cd's, obviously I went through a lot of emotional stress in high school with my anxiety issues, where I felt like I was on my own without a person there to help me. I don't feel I completely understand the meaning of the song in a literal or metaphorical sense, but I have certainly applied myself to the music and how I relate to it.
In a literal sense, the song is about having a high source, higher power, a "God" of some sort being with me whenever I am down, alone, unrecognized or non-existent to the world around me. From my earliest memories I know I was raised Catholic, but I was never a fan of Sunday Mass or church in general, this applies to other forms of Christianity because I've been to other churches and am still not interested. The one thing I did come away with was the belief that there is something bigger than me, bigger than all of us, a "God". Whenever I would be a low point in my life, I would come back to this song and think about the idea that there is something or someone out there with me, so I am not all by myself.
There are a lot of music videos out there, but I feel that Moby's "In This World" video is another aspect of this song that I can relate myself to in some ways. The has aliens that are trying to get recognized by people and make friends, but they are continuously ignored and unrecognized, that is until the end of the video when Moby waves to the little aliens. I particularly like this part because I think the aliens were given a glimpse of hope in their search which leads them to create a larger "Hello" sign. In my life, I have been continuously in the search for a purpose, answers, and definition, many of which have been failed attempts, but every now and then I find a glimpse of hope that has me going back for more, not giving up on myself and coming back more knowledgeable than the time before. This is a quality that I am stuck with, I always like to think that there is hope out there, even when I am down with the ground.
The video means a lot to this song and something that stands out to me is that the aliens stick together, like a structure of friends that stick together even when times suck. This is another aspect of the song and video that I enjoy, not just the idea that there is something out there that I am unaware of watching over me and making sure I'm not on my own, is the idea that I have a small amount of really amazing friends and family that are by my side even when shit hits the fan and there seems to be little hope left. This is what stands out to me the most, the fact that I am not by myself, even when I feel like I am.
I like the song. I understand why you think about a "God" when listening to the music. My interpretation of the song is one that the singer is hoping for a connection with other human being. The aliens are symbolism of those who are strange. They are hardly seen and they are often seen in small group.
ReplyDeleteI do feel like those aliens sometimes. I tried to say hi or smile to some acquintances but they often don't notice my greetings. So, in my defense, I usually stick around with my "strange group." But at the same time,and this is the part that the video clip confirms my thought, I like to think that they are busy or just don't recognize me. I believe a smile can break the ice. It gives positive energy for myself. So, I just keep trying.